- 3,834 confirmed, probable & suspected cases – a 7 fold increase from the previous year
- This is the most absolute number of cases reported since 1958 and the highest incidence per 100,000 since 1962
- 12% of cases were hospitalized, 59% of those hospitalized were children < 3 months; 74% were children < 6 months; 801% of the under 6 months hospitalized were Hispanic
- 8 deaths have been reported all infants less than 3 months. 7 were under 2 months, thus had not received any doses of the pertussis vaccine. 1 had received the first dose (of 5) 11 days prior
- Rates in infants < 6 months old are 6 times higher than the next biggest affected category 7-9 year olds, and 8 times the rates of adolescents, the third most affected category
- Highest rates are seen in Hispanic infants < 6 months of age
Comment to add: As an adult that may come in contact with infants, please get your boosters!