Facts, not Fantasy

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Vaccine Times: What do Anti-vaxers Want?

I have no love for the anti-vax movement.  As a matter of fact, I consider their actions downright criminal, and I would prefer to see them all prosecuted for manslaughter every time someone dies from a vaccine preventable disease.  Vaccine Times has some commentary that should be read about what the anti-vax pro-disease movement actually wants.  I also address this a little at Facts, not Fantasy:
  • Pro-disease anti-vaxers want vaccines that are 100% safe. This is never going to happen, as all medicines carry some risk. However, the relative risk of injury from vaccines is significantly lower than the risk of injury from getting the disease naturally. For more information, see the CDC website.
  • This is so important, I'll say it again: The only people that insist vaccines are (or should be) 100% safe are the anti-vax pro-disease advocates.

What do the anti-vaxers want?

This entry will be a little different from the usual posts you’re accustomed to read here at  The Vaccine Times. Generally I try to stay clear of opinion pieces and stick to facts. However, I feel the need to make an exception this time to express what I believe is the strategy, and ultimate goals, of the anti-vaccine movement. It is not necessarily the case that each and every anti-vax proponent holds these goals, but I think they apply fairly well to the movement as a whole.

So, what do anti-vaxers want? They want to reduce, if not completely eliminate, the vaccines recommended for use today. That is what the slogan “too many, too soon” is all about. Not only that, but they also want, or do not have a problem with, the vaccine-preventable diseases (VPDs) coming back. That is what “the VPDs were disappearing before vaccines were used” is all about. But, you didn’t need me to tell you that, you knew this already. What I mean to express here is what I perceive to be the anti-vax strategy for achieving this end result.
CLICK TO READ THE REST OF THE ARTICLE.

And try not to let the comments by people on that page get you down too much. Remember, they have been lied to. Repeatedly...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep posts here respectful. Those that cross boundaries will be deleted, and then placed in a special place for future ridicule.